Friday 27 January 2012

T1: Final Choice - Original Images



Below are the original images I have decided to put forward into my folio for Assignment 206 – Task 1a-Theme 1. This folio concentrates primarily on close up images within my garden. These images are neither cropped nor amended.





Honeysuckle:
P9254430; 25/9/11; 1604
f/6.3; ISO 400; 1/100 second; focal length 27mm; hand held camera with Image Stabilisation; autofocus

This photo was taken just after heavy rain. Another blog will explain the reason why I took the image. It was taken very early into the course and initially I was delighted with the accurate focus onto the water droplets,but found the image somewhat dull and underexposed. However with enhancement in Photoshop I believe I have attained an image which is close to my original aim.





Spider’s Web at Dawn:
P9294528; 19/9/11; 0738
f/8; ISO 400; 1/15 second; focal length 70mm; hand held camera with Image Stabilisation; autofocus

In my original blog written shortly after taking this photo I explained that we were having heavy dew in bright dawn light which was highlighting the spider's webs in the garden. I simply walked around taking various shots from different perspectives to highlight the shape and texture of the webs. This photo is taking looking up towards the web, and towards the sunlight . I am delighted with the accurate focusing onto the dead flower heads with the focus fading through the web;but the out of focus red shrub in the background is what brings the photo to life. The final image is simply cropped.





Caterpillar:
PA034650; 3/10/11; 1245





f/7.1; ISO 800; 1/30 second; focal length 300mm; camera set on tripod; continuous autofocus

This was taken in beautiful autumnal sunshine. My initial aim was to take close up images of the bark, but when I saw what was probably the last caterpillar of the year I had to take some photos! My previous blog explains the problems I had with the tripod. In addition I was chasing the caterpillar around the tree! - In hindsight I might have been better using the camera in hand. When I reviewed this image I felt it needed slight cropping to reposition the camera,and warmth adding to the colours. The focus is a little soft at the head, but I feel the final image will be more than satisfactory.












Bulb Seeds:
PA034670; 3/10/11; 1326
f/8; ISO 200; 1/125 second; focal length 239mm; hand held camera with Image Stabilisation; autofocus

When I took these images I was trying to understand depth of field. By this time of year most of the colour in the garden had begun to fade, but these bulb seed pods remained beautifully bright so were an obvious draw. The exposure of f/8 gave a limited depth of field, with the background out of focus. The colour spot was placed approximately at a Rule of Thirds intersection and was well focused. The fading leaf on the left draws the upwards, from there round to the large unopened seed pod and then the pale out of focus at the right helps to bring the eye back down and back to the colour.
This is probably the first picture of the course with which I was satisfied. For the final image I have simply cropped to A3 size.






Fallen Leaves:
PB124808; 12/11/11; 1432
f/5.6; ISO 200; 1/50 second; focal length 150mm; hand held camera with Image Stabilisation; autofocus


This image was taken after Steve had suggested that I go out and experiment with textures and colours of autumn. Again I was delighted with this image. The colours are quiet delightful and complement each other beautifully. The focus is good, again the fine detail of the raindrops giving a contrast to the texture of the leaves. This image is one of colour and textures. Again the final image is simply cropped.








Barn Roof:
PB124810; 12/11/11; 1435
f/7.1; ISO 200; 1/40 second; focal length 150mm; hand held camera with Image Stabilisation; autofocus

When this was taken I was fascinated by the play of the afternoon sun on the leaves and moss trapped on the barn roof. My initial thought was one of pleasure,but as a previous blog shows I did begin to doubt my original judgement. I came back several weeks later and viewed the image again - and came back to my original judgement. So what do I like? 
  • the play of the light on the leaves
  • the vivid green of the moss
  • the change of focus - out to in to out as you move from front to back
  • the completely blurred and barely visible branch in the foreground
  • the small twig dropping down at the back
  • the composition is one of 3 layers: moss to leaves to out of focus in the background
The final image will need to be simply cropped.






Leaves and Moss:
PB124826; 12/11/11; 1443
f/5.4; ISO 200; 1/30 second; focal length 128mm; hand held camera with Image Stabilisation; autofocus

This again is an image of textures and colour, and highlights the early decay of autumn. The colours complement each other, and as I hoped when I composed the image the berry at the top left proves a bright point of interest. The textures are varied - decaying leaves, moss both dead and growing, berries in varying states of decay and seeds that will soon rot. This is another image with which I was delighted,and once more simply needs to be cropped.







Beech Hedge:





PB124833; 12/11/11; 1448
f/5.6; ISO 400; 1/60 second; focal length 43mm; hand held camera with Image Stabilisation; autofocus


The aim with this photo was to explore the colour and texture of the beech hedge. I tried photographs that were 'face on', but preferred this image. What do I like in this image?

  • sunlight on the leaves
  • colours and textures of the leaves - as they change from summer green to winter brown
  • the depth of field as the hedge disappears out of focus in the distance
  • the contrast acting as a border on the right hand side
This image could be cropped in many ways but I hope to maintain the image very much as it stands.





Toadstools:
PB134863; 13/11/11; 1424
f/11; ISO 800; 1/30 second; focal length 128m; hand held camera with Image Stabilisation; autofocus


I was attracted to the colours of these toadstools which were amongst a totally overgrown area of the garden. This image has a variety of complementary colours,and textures. It depicts both life and growth (in thre toadstools and green laves) in contrast tothe deacya of the underlying fallen leaves. f/11 givees a deeper depth of field than most ofmy photos which was my aim. Using ISO 800 allows this narrower aperture,and with Image Stabilistaion I can still maintain a focussed shot at a shutter speed of 1/30th second.






frosted berries:
P1145280; 14/1/12; 1031
f/5.6; ISO 200; 1/60 second; focal length 150mm; hand held camera with Image Stabilisation; autofocus
This is my final image taken during a hard January frost. I love this iamge,and in a planned blog willcompare it to commercial images. What appeals to me is:

  • the contrast of the coloured berries to the frosted branches
  • the contrast of the in focus berries to those in the background
  • the visibletexture of the frost on the berries and branches
Further comments are on my previous blog. This image again needs to be cropped and not enhanced in Photoshop.

1 comment:

  1. love the frost on the berrys,and the spider web at dawn - this looks superb - the focus is on the right area and the background is aptly blurred. Well captured

    ReplyDelete