Friday 10 February 2012

211: Presentation methods

Presentation Methods.

The traditional method to present photographic images is individual prints. Immediately you are presented with several questions:
·         Print size – 5 x 3 inches, 6 x 4 inches, 10 x 8 inches, 16 x 12 inches, A4, A3. The choice is endless.
·         Matt or Gloss
·         Print yourself, use local shops, use the internet
·         If you print yourself – which printer do you use?
·         How do you know the colour printed will be true to your original image?

In order to answer these questions one major issue must be considered. What is the purpose of the images?

My purpose is to produce a portfolio of images which will be a memento of my garden when I move home. For this purpose I shall produce many images which will vary in quality over a long period of time. A format such as a book would be ideal for this – easily portable, easily available at all times, flexible in the amount it can contain.

In the medium term and for the purpose of this module 10 images have been produced – insufficient for a book. The photographs could be printed individually and displayed in a binder – portable, but overlapping and duplicating the final aim of a book. With 2 or 3 further images a calendar could be produced – a subtle enhancement of the print, enabling the photographs to be viewed and appreciated daily. The 10 images could alternatively be printed and displayed on the walls of my home – but there are problems with this choice. My home does not have much spare wall space and the cost of prints and frames may be prohibitive.

For the purpose of this module I shall explain how I can produce a simple wall calendar using my own images. (See separate blog). This I shall compare with the production of these images for an exhibition.

No comments:

Post a Comment