Saturday 4 February 2012

Robin photograph: Comparison to one by Heather Angel

In this blog I intend to compare my final image of a robin to one published by Heather Angel.


The settings for this photograph were: f/5.6; ISO 400; 1/60 second; focal length 300mm



The image below is published by Heather Angel. (http://www.naturalvisions.co.uk/ )


The tonal range of the backgrounds are similar, although Heather's image appears to have more light upon the background foliage highlighting the yellow shades. Both images tell a story of the robin within the garden. The colours of the robin in my image are brighter.
The eye contact for both images is almost identical as the bird appears to pause, watch and listen. I have explained in a previous blog that the focusing upon the robin within my image is less than ideal - but the focusing upon the bird in Heather's image is also less than perfect.
Heather has composed her image so that the robin is almost central, with the log offering contrasts in texture; the log which disappears into the background brings the eye back to the robin with its increasing focus closer to the bird. My image places the bird well off centre, with the eyes being drawn around the chains of the feeder back to the bird.
Which is the better image? In this case I feel it is a matter of personal preference. Neither picture is a masterpiece, but to be honest the difference in experience between Heather and myself is massive. I am happy with my photo and am aware that it can be much improved. With Heather's experience I would not be happy with her image.

1 comment:

  1. I love the photo of the robin on the hanging feeder as it stands out so well against the blurred background.

    ReplyDelete