Thursday 22 December 2011

Comparison of my photographs with one taken by Paul Strand


This is the original image taken by Paul Strand of wild irises. It is a strong image which despite being monochromatic has a wide range of tones, giving depth and texture to the image.


The images below are my own, which have been converted automatically to black and white within Photoshop. I chose this simple method so that I could evaluate my photos in comparison to the original by Paul Strand.





This first image is I believe quite strong with definitive lines. However it has a narrow range of tone and for this reason appears very flat and lacking in texture. With a more sympathetic conversion in Photoshop the tonal range could probably be improved.




This second image has an improved tonal range, but insufficient leaves are in focus with the result that the image is less powerful in black and white. This image is better in colour.

I intend to try to 'improve' the first of my 2 images within Photoshop and re-evaluate.


No comments:

Post a Comment