Monday 5 December 2011

Photos taken on 4th December using wireless remote cable system.

This photo session was on December 4th. The wind had dropped, but it was not sunny - quite the opposite - low dark cloud , very dull.

For that reason my camera settings were quite different to yesterday. ISO 200 gave shutter speeds of 1/30 or 1/20 second - far too slow for photos of birds even with the aperture wide open. I didn't want to use ISO 800 or 1600. Possibly these photos will need cropping which will exacerbate the graininess of images taken at high ISO numbers (see blogs of 13th October - image of wasp in pond). So I decided  to use ISO 400 which gave me a shutter speed of 1/80 second - probably the slowest that is possible for birds.

As yesterday I used the tripod to mount the camera and hold it steady and in position about 5 feet from the feeder, live view to facilitate focusing and composition, manual focus to keep the focus sharp and constant, and the wireless remote cable to fire the shutter whilst I am out of sight indoors.



I became very animated when for the first time this autumn a nuthatch appeared, and managed to take 2 reasonable photos . In total I took 25 photos in a short period of which 5 are shown below. Unfortunately the rain that threatened appeared shortly afterwards. Since my camera is not waterproof I stopped the session at that point.


All the photos below were taken at the following settings:
f/5.5; ISO 400; 1/80 sec; focal length 142 mm









These 5 photos exceeded my expectations. Hopefully with a brighter day I can use a faster shutter speed. I need to focus closer to make the bird a larger image still.

In addition I can focus on branches upon which the birds sit waiting for the feeders to become free.

I also intend to use this system to obtain images of the squirrels, pheasants, partridges that visit the compost - I can tempt them with feed on the ground. In addition magpies, pigeons and blackbirds can be seen.

3 comments:

  1. You must be pleased with these - I like the first image. What focal length and lens did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Val, Lovely use of available light and great pictures of our local birds...Really good

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good sharp well exposed images of these birds and I particularly like the Nut Hatch with the peanut in its beak.

    ReplyDelete