Sunday 4 December 2011

Use of Live View

This weekend I have been playing with the remote control of the camera using a wireless cable release. The first problem was getting the tripod to be stable - but with patience that was sorted. However to get the image I wanted of a feeder the camera had to be a) portrait ; b) very high up and difficult for me to use ; c) I wanted to use manual focus so that the photo was taken quickly and focused on the correct spot.

My basic problem was that I normally use the view finder to compose shots and I could not physically get my eye in place!! Whenever I have previously tried to use Live View I have struggled with either reflection on the LCD screen or seeing the image at all. However I tried this setting and because the camera was on a tripod the image was stable. In addition there was no reflection!

Now I needed to manual focus - and this was going to be vital as my depth of field was very small. I then discovered I could a) move the manual focus spot easily and b) magnify this spot by pressing 'OK' and hence focus perfectly.

What a find!! This weekend seems to be one long learning curve!

Below is information from the Olympus website and Olympus E520 manual to explain this process:






"Live View is made possible by moving the mirror upwards and displaying the image on the LCD at the back of the camera as the image sensor “sees” it. Both automatic and manual focusing modes are supported."












The image below shows the LCD screen on my camera (circled in silver) and the set up of the wireless remote ( see next blog for more details).


No comments:

Post a Comment