Thursday 17 November 2011

Fallen Leaves - November 2011


These images were taken on a bright afternoon in mid October. They followed a conversation with Steve who suggested I change my perspective of image taking to consider patterns, colours and textures. I used 2 lenses: 17.5 - 45 mm and 70 - 300 mm, the camera being hand held.


The image below shows the unfallen Virginia Creeper leaves in the process of changing colour from vivid red through browns to yellow. This image did not work - perhaps I need to get even closer.


f/5.6; ISO 200; 1/60 second; focal length 40 mm



The remainder of the images are of fallen leaves in the gutter by the house. It had just rained and I was delighted to catch the raindrops in focus on the leaves. I love the range of colours and the different textures - thin stems, leaves beginning to die and decay, clear raindrops. As I got closer I believe the images improve. This idea of getting so close was novel to me - to get really close. (Although I realise that with macro photography you get very close - 6 inches or less). It can be uncomfortable at first - we don't usually bend so close to things - but is very rewarding.

f/5.6; ISO 200; 1/60 second; focal length 40 mm

f/5.6; ISO 200; 1/60 second; focal length 40 mm

f/5.6; ISO 200; 1/50 second; focal length 110 mm


f/5.6; ISO 200; 1/30 second; focal length 123 mm


f/5.6; ISO 200; 1/50 second; focal length 123 mm

f/5.6; ISO 200; 1/50 second; focal length 150 mm

I am delighted with the last 2 images in particular; the colours and textures are delightful. The large red leaf intersects a Rule of Thirds and the eye remains focused within the image. The last image  in particular could be displayed in a large print format. I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment