Thursday 17 November 2011

A fresh day - October 15th 2011

A few days later in October we had a bright and sunny afternoon, so I wondered around my garden searching  for photo opportunities. Some of the results are below.

I used the 40 - 150 mm lens, with the camera occasionally being placed on the tripod to enable slow shutter speeds to be used.



f/5.6; ISO 200; 1/40 second; focal length 70 mm

This was an experiment to try to photograph leaves to show patterns, textures and colours. I am too far away, and possibly the perspective needs to be 'face on' rather than angled.


f/5.5; ISO 200; 1/13 second; focal length 137 mm

For this image the camera was hand held, with me scrabbling on hands and knees. It needs an extra factor to provide interest  or a story, possibly bright sunlight, possibly a narrower depth of field and / or closer to focus on the feather as the subject.




f/16; ISO 200; 1/15 second; focal length 40 mm


 f/16; ISO 200; 1/15 second; focal length 40 mm



f/16; ISO 200; 1/8 second; focal length 40 mm


f/22; ISO 200; 1/6 second; focal length 43 mm

With such slow shutter speeds these photos of the willows were obviously taken utilising the tripod. The third image could have been stunning - but it needs either the widest depth of field possible, or a narrow depth of field to put the background out of focus. I suspect the former is preferable, with pin point focusing. The colours, composition and texture I feel all work well. Another shot to take in spring / summer.



f/11; ISO 200; 1/20 second; focal length 48 mm

Here my aim was to show the pattern of the dappled light on the grass. I need to be closer, and looking down - but then I have the problem of potential shadows. Possibly not on my list of ideas to pursue.




f/5.6; ISO 200; 1/20 second; focal length 94 mm

This final shot was to show the texture of the decaying leaf, with the spider (skin). The subject needs to be bigger and the depth of field narrower. Sunlight on the leaf would give a vibrancy to the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment