Thursday 17 November 2011

Roof of Outbuilding - November 2011


This photo was taken through a tree, hence the areas of lack of focus  lying across part of the image. I was fascinated by the colours - vivid green moss and orange leaves, highlighted by the autumn afternoon sunlight. I wanted to capture this 'excitement' to be seen in a place normally overlooked - a roof facing northeast hidden by a tree.


f/7.1; ISO 200; 1/40 second; focal length 150 mm

A later blog will tell of my ambiguous feelings towards this image - delight , rejection and acceptance.

Initially I was delighted by it. It just was so different to any other image I had taken. I loved the colours, textures and light and felt I had captured the moment I chose a medium aperture to increase my depth of field, but was limited by the still limited light. i didn't want to increase the ISO setting as I felt the dark green would easily show any noise produced. A shutter speed of 1/40 with a hand held camera using image stabilisation meant that f/7.1 the compromise to be accepted. Fortunately it has worked very well.

The composition is discussed elsewhere but really I now am thrilled with this image.

No comments:

Post a Comment