Thursday 17 November 2011

Moss & Leaves - November 2011

This series of photos was taken one sunny afternoon in November, and shows the contrasting colours and textures of the moss, leaves and berries on a garden path. I used the 70 - 300 mm lens, with the camera being hand held supported by image stabilisation to permit lower shutter speeds. This process in modern digital SLR cameras allows slower shutter speeds to be used without camera movement (from myself) being apparent. Taking the photo on an 'in' breath, and bracing yourself against something (husbands are useful for this) can also help to reduce camera shake.



f/5.0; ISO 200; 1/30 second; focal length 86 mm


f/5.0; ISO 200; 1/30 second; focal length 90 mm

f/5.4; ISO 200; 1/30 second; focal length 132 mm


f/5.5; ISO 200; 1/30 second; focal length 137 mm

The slowest shutter speed permitted was 1/30th second; as I got closer the aperture needed widening to maintain this. I did not want to increase the ISO setting as this would have produced noise and graininess, which would have been apparent in these sombre colours.

I tried to include the red berries as a bright contrast to both the shrivelled dark berries and the decaying leaves; there was little 'life' in the images - but this was an image of autumn.

The second image is the one I prefer - it is the lightest, and has some bright living moss to act as a foil to the rest of the image. I discuss in another blog why this image is in my final folio choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment