Thursday 17 November 2011

Willow Bark - November 2011


In November I reviewed some work by Steve Young, with one image being that of tree bark. This I tried to emulate.

I used a hand held camera with the telephoto lens (70 - 300 mm), autofocus and aided by image stabilisation.



f/5.6; ISO 200; 1/20 second; focal length 67 mm



f/5.6; ISO 200; 1/23 second; focal length 64 mm


In order for this image to work completely accurate focusing is required. Unfortunately with autofocus this was not the case. Additionally because I did not wish to increase my ISO setting even with a wide aperture the shutter speed was slow. Even with image stabilisation camera shake is likely. In addition Steve's image is taken in quite bright light, which was not the case here, resulting in a rather flat image.

On the positive side the images, especially the second are well composed. The textures are gorgeous, and I intend to repeat this exercise in the better light of spring or summer.

Addendum:
Live view and manual focusing should ensure pinpoint focusing, with the camera being on a tripod. In this way the shutter speed will not be a problem so that I should be able to experiment with aperture width

No comments:

Post a Comment